From the devastating BP oil spill to the floundering economy to the Democrats' midterm "shellacking," there wasn't a lot for President Obama to smile about during his first two years in office. But things are looking up for the president these days. Osama bin Laden is dead, the president's personal approval ratings are as high as 72 percent, and big-name Republicans like Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump have opted out of the 2012 race. Through it all, Obama, like many U.S. presidents before him, has found time for a good laugh. Here, a look at some notable executive acts of laughter:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week