From the devastating BP oil spill to the floundering economy to the Democrats' midterm "shellacking," there wasn't a lot for President Obama to smile about during his first two years in office. But things are looking up for the president these days. Osama bin Laden is dead, the president's personal approval ratings are as high as 72 percent, and big-name Republicans like Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump have opted out of the 2012 race. Through it all, Obama, like many U.S. presidents before him, has found time for a good laugh. Here, a look at some notable executive acts of laughter:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week