From the devastating BP oil spill to the floundering economy to the Democrats' midterm "shellacking," there wasn't a lot for President Obama to smile about during his first two years in office. But things are looking up for the president these days. Osama bin Laden is dead, the president's personal approval ratings are as high as 72 percent, and big-name Republicans like Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump have opted out of the 2012 race. Through it all, Obama, like many U.S. presidents before him, has found time for a good laugh. Here, a look at some notable executive acts of laughter:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The week's best photojournalism
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week