From the devastating BP oil spill to the floundering economy to the Democrats' midterm "shellacking," there wasn't a lot for President Obama to smile about during his first two years in office. But things are looking up for the president these days. Osama bin Laden is dead, the president's personal approval ratings are as high as 72 percent, and big-name Republicans like Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump have opted out of the 2012 race. Through it all, Obama, like many U.S. presidents before him, has found time for a good laugh. Here, a look at some notable executive acts of laughter:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
Subscribe to the Week