Is she refreshingly modern or is she too bold? Is she relatable or simply too casual? Whether she likes it or not, what Michelle Obama wears is frequently at the center of the fashion world’s white hot -- and often unforgiving -- attention. Bloggers and designers alike rarely miss a moment to comment on an unorthodox pattern or potentially risky cut. Not since Jackie O. has there been a young woman in the White House that has commanded so much attention for her sartorial swagger. Here are some of Michelle Obama’s more controversial fashion dos and don’ts.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week