Is she refreshingly modern or is she too bold? Is she relatable or simply too casual? Whether she likes it or not, what Michelle Obama wears is frequently at the center of the fashion world’s white hot -- and often unforgiving -- attention. Bloggers and designers alike rarely miss a moment to comment on an unorthodox pattern or potentially risky cut. Not since Jackie O. has there been a young woman in the White House that has commanded so much attention for her sartorial swagger. Here are some of Michelle Obama’s more controversial fashion dos and don’ts.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week