As recently as 30 years ago, China was a global backwater; today, it is the second–fastest growing economy in the world (after the United States). To accommodate that growth – and to celebrate its status in the international marketplace – the country has embarked on a record-setting building spree. Here are some prominent examples.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week