s recently as 30 years ago, China was a global backwater; today, it is the second–fastest growing economy in the world (after the United States). To accommodate that growth – and to celebrate its status in the international marketplace – the country has embarked on a record-setting building spree. Here are some prominent examples.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week