San Francisco is known for its graceful Victorian homes, with their easter-egg exteriors a standard focus of tourist postcards. The best "painted ladies," however, combine anachronistic charms with modern conveniences and cutting-edge renovations. Here a look — both inside and out — at six of the loveliest "ladies" on the market.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week