an Francisco is known for its graceful Victorian homes, with their easter-egg exteriors a standard focus of tourist postcards. The best "painted ladies," however, combine anachronistic charms with modern conveniences and cutting-edge renovations. Here a look — both inside and out — at six of the loveliest "ladies" on the market.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
Subscribe to the Week