San Francisco is known for its graceful Victorian homes, with their easter-egg exteriors a standard focus of tourist postcards. The best "painted ladies," however, combine anachronistic charms with modern conveniences and cutting-edge renovations. Here a look — both inside and out — at six of the loveliest "ladies" on the market.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week