The Japanese are still trying to assess the damage caused by the record-breaking earthquake and tsunami that struck their nation on March 11, killing thousands and triggering a nuclear crisis. Here, a visual look back at history's biggest earthquakes and the damage that each devastated area faced — and, in some cases, still faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week