he Japanese are still trying to assess the damage caused by the record-breaking earthquake and tsunami that struck their nation on March 11, killing thousands and triggering a nuclear crisis. Here, a visual look back at history's biggest earthquakes and the damage that each devastated area faced — and, in some cases, still faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch Stephen Colbert and Neil deGrasse Tyson debate science
Subscribe to the Week