The Japanese are still trying to assess the damage caused by the record-breaking earthquake and tsunami that struck their nation on March 11, killing thousands and triggering a nuclear crisis. Here, a visual look back at history's biggest earthquakes and the damage that each devastated area faced — and, in some cases, still faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week