he Japanese are still trying to assess the damage caused by the record-breaking earthquake and tsunami that struck their nation on March 11, killing thousands and triggering a nuclear crisis. Here, a visual look back at history's biggest earthquakes and the damage that each devastated area faced — and, in some cases, still faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week