As the 2012 elections approach, a liberal radio host in Houston is calling on actor Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black, No Country for Old Men) to take a shot at winning Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison's open Senate seat for the Dems. No matter that Texas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in almost 20 years. "I can't think of another Democrat in Texas that has the necessary name ID... that would be able to raise money, and that would have at least the potential to attract string voters and a substantial number of Republicans," says radio host Geoff Berg. Of course, Jones is just the latest actor to be pushed toward a political career. Here's a gallery of other fantasy contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week