s the 2012 elections approach, a liberal radio host in Houston is calling on actor Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black, No Country for Old Men) to take a shot at winning Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison's open Senate seat for the Dems. No matter that Texas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in almost 20 years. "I can't think of another Democrat in Texas that has the necessary name ID... that would be able to raise money, and that would have at least the potential to attract string voters and a substantial number of Republicans," says radio host Geoff Berg. Of course, Jones is just the latest actor to be pushed toward a political career. Here's a gallery of other fantasy contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week