s the 2012 elections approach, a liberal radio host in Houston is calling on actor Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black, No Country for Old Men) to take a shot at winning Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison's open Senate seat for the Dems. No matter that Texas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in almost 20 years. "I can't think of another Democrat in Texas that has the necessary name ID... that would be able to raise money, and that would have at least the potential to attract string voters and a substantial number of Republicans," says radio host Geoff Berg. Of course, Jones is just the latest actor to be pushed toward a political career. Here's a gallery of other fantasy contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week