As the 2012 elections approach, a liberal radio host in Houston is calling on actor Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black, No Country for Old Men) to take a shot at winning Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison's open Senate seat for the Dems. No matter that Texas hasn't elected a Democratic senator in almost 20 years. "I can't think of another Democrat in Texas that has the necessary name ID... that would be able to raise money, and that would have at least the potential to attract string voters and a substantial number of Republicans," says radio host Geoff Berg. Of course, Jones is just the latest actor to be pushed toward a political career. Here's a gallery of other fantasy contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week