One week after a devastating 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami rocked Japan, the death toll is nearing 7,000, thousands more remain missing, and officials are racing to contain a nuclear crisis. Those that survived the tragedy are coping with the deaths of loved ones and the destruction of their homes, towns, and cities. Here are their faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week