One week after a devastating 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami rocked Japan, the death toll is nearing 7,000, thousands more remain missing, and officials are racing to contain a nuclear crisis. Those that survived the tragedy are coping with the deaths of loved ones and the destruction of their homes, towns, and cities. Here are their faces.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week