Sucker Punch, the new film from director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) hits theatres Friday, in both 2D and 3D. The film describes itself as an "epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality." Critics, however, are finding other words, many of them unkind, for the film, and making reference to everything from Dickens to Showgirls to describe the fanboy pastiche. "Sucker Punch is not one of the worst movies of the year," says Josh Tyler at Cinema Blend. "It's three of the worst slapped together on a single reel." Here, a gallery of some of the things critics see slapped together.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week