Sucker Punch, the new film from director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) hits theatres Friday, in both 2D and 3D. The film describes itself as an "epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality." Critics, however, are finding other words, many of them unkind, for the film, and making reference to everything from Dickens to Showgirls to describe the fanboy pastiche. "Sucker Punch is not one of the worst movies of the year," says Josh Tyler at Cinema Blend. "It's three of the worst slapped together on a single reel." Here, a gallery of some of the things critics see slapped together.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week