Sucker Punch, the new film from director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) hits theatres Friday, in both 2D and 3D. The film describes itself as an "epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality." Critics, however, are finding other words, many of them unkind, for the film, and making reference to everything from Dickens to Showgirls to describe the fanboy pastiche. "Sucker Punch is not one of the worst movies of the year," says Josh Tyler at Cinema Blend. "It's three of the worst slapped together on a single reel." Here, a gallery of some of the things critics see slapped together.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week