Sucker Punch, the new film from director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) hits theatres Friday, in both 2D and 3D. The film describes itself as an "epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality." Critics, however, are finding other words, many of them unkind, for the film, and making reference to everything from Dickens to Showgirls to describe the fanboy pastiche. "Sucker Punch is not one of the worst movies of the year," says Josh Tyler at Cinema Blend. "It's three of the worst slapped together on a single reel." Here, a gallery of some of the things critics see slapped together.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week