ucker Punch, the new film from director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) hits theatres Friday, in both 2D and 3D. The film describes itself as an "epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality." Critics, however, are finding other words, many of them unkind, for the film, and making reference to everything from Dickens to Showgirls to describe the fanboy pastiche. "Sucker Punch is not one of the worst movies of the year," says Josh Tyler at Cinema Blend. "It's three of the worst slapped together on a single reel." Here, a gallery of some of the things critics see slapped together.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week