Bill Murray, the laidback star of Ghostbusters and Lost in Translation, has been chosen to play Franklin D. Roosevelt in a British TV drama. Although some might balk at the idea of the SNL veteran playing the wartime president, critics have mostly reacted favorably. "It might not offer up ghost-filled laughs," says Monika Bartyzel at Cinematical, "but it'll be great to see Murray get serious." Here, a selection of unlikely actors who have played other commanders-in-chief over the years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week