Bill Murray, the laidback star of Ghostbusters and Lost in Translation, has been chosen to play Franklin D. Roosevelt in a British TV drama. Although some might balk at the idea of the SNL veteran playing the wartime president, critics have mostly reacted favorably. "It might not offer up ghost-filled laughs," says Monika Bartyzel at Cinematical, "but it'll be great to see Murray get serious." Here, a selection of unlikely actors who have played other commanders-in-chief over the years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
Subscribe to the Week