Bill Murray, the laidback star of Ghostbusters and Lost in Translation, has been chosen to play Franklin D. Roosevelt in a British TV drama. Although some might balk at the idea of the SNL veteran playing the wartime president, critics have mostly reacted favorably. "It might not offer up ghost-filled laughs," says Monika Bartyzel at Cinematical, "but it'll be great to see Murray get serious." Here, a selection of unlikely actors who have played other commanders-in-chief over the years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week