Bill Murray, the laidback star of Ghostbusters and Lost in Translation, has been chosen to play Franklin D. Roosevelt in a British TV drama. Although some might balk at the idea of the SNL veteran playing the wartime president, critics have mostly reacted favorably. "It might not offer up ghost-filled laughs," says Monika Bartyzel at Cinematical, "but it'll be great to see Murray get serious." Here, a selection of unlikely actors who have played other commanders-in-chief over the years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week