Word began leaking Sunday evening: A major announcement was coming from the White House. Finally, the president addressed the nation live. "Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children." The reaction to his words, as documented in these photos, was immediate and irrepressibly buoyant.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- This Indian meal service is so efficient it's the envy of FedEx
- The militarization of America’s police
Subscribe to the Week