Word began leaking Sunday evening: A major announcement was coming from the White House. Finally, the president addressed the nation live. "Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children." The reaction to his words, as documented in these photos, was immediate and irrepressibly buoyant.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week