At Disney World's Port Orleans Resort, Disney is converting 512 hotel rooms into princess-themed quarters with ornate decor, beds with fiber-optic special effects on the headboards, and, quite possibly, a premium price tag. Meanwhile, rival fairy-tale maker DreamWorks recently inked a deal with Gaylord Hotels to put its animated characters, like Shrek and Po the Panda, "front and center" in Gaylord's hotels. It's all part of a growing trend of hotels targeting kids with elaborately themed lodgings that nod to their favorite toys and characters. Here, five hotels already doing just that.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week