At Disney World's Port Orleans Resort, Disney is converting 512 hotel rooms into princess-themed quarters with ornate decor, beds with fiber-optic special effects on the headboards, and, quite possibly, a premium price tag. Meanwhile, rival fairy-tale maker DreamWorks recently inked a deal with Gaylord Hotels to put its animated characters, like Shrek and Po the Panda, "front and center" in Gaylord's hotels. It's all part of a growing trend of hotels targeting kids with elaborately themed lodgings that nod to their favorite toys and characters. Here, five hotels already doing just that.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week