At Disney World's Port Orleans Resort, Disney is converting 512 hotel rooms into princess-themed quarters with ornate decor, beds with fiber-optic special effects on the headboards, and, quite possibly, a premium price tag. Meanwhile, rival fairy-tale maker DreamWorks recently inked a deal with Gaylord Hotels to put its animated characters, like Shrek and Po the Panda, "front and center" in Gaylord's hotels. It's all part of a growing trend of hotels targeting kids with elaborately themed lodgings that nod to their favorite toys and characters. Here, five hotels already doing just that.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week