At Disney World's Port Orleans Resort, Disney is converting 512 hotel rooms into princess-themed quarters with ornate decor, beds with fiber-optic special effects on the headboards, and, quite possibly, a premium price tag. Meanwhile, rival fairy-tale maker DreamWorks recently inked a deal with Gaylord Hotels to put its animated characters, like Shrek and Po the Panda, "front and center" in Gaylord's hotels. It's all part of a growing trend of hotels targeting kids with elaborately themed lodgings that nod to their favorite toys and characters. Here, five hotels already doing just that.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week