oor New Jersey already struggles with a lousy reputation, and the gaudy, half-finished megamall Xanadu isn't helping things. Though slated to open in 2007, the $1.9 billion Bergen County entertainment and retail complex, which Gov. Chris Christie once called "by far the ugliest damn building in New Jersey, and maybe America," has sat unfinished for years due to financial difficulties. Last week, the state struck a deal with developers to complete the massive project by 2013, rename it the American Dream Meadowlands, and give its much-maligned exterior a makeover. Until then, it remains a leading example of nearly universally denigrated "architecture." Here are several more examples:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week