Poor New Jersey already struggles with a lousy reputation, and the gaudy, half-finished megamall Xanadu isn't helping things. Though slated to open in 2007, the $1.9 billion Bergen County entertainment and retail complex, which Gov. Chris Christie once called "by far the ugliest damn building in New Jersey, and maybe America," has sat unfinished for years due to financial difficulties. Last week, the state struck a deal with developers to complete the massive project by 2013, rename it the American Dream Meadowlands, and give its much-maligned exterior a makeover. Until then, it remains a leading example of nearly universally denigrated "architecture." Here are several more examples:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week