Poor New Jersey already struggles with a lousy reputation, and the gaudy, half-finished megamall Xanadu isn't helping things. Though slated to open in 2007, the $1.9 billion Bergen County entertainment and retail complex, which Gov. Chris Christie once called "by far the ugliest damn building in New Jersey, and maybe America," has sat unfinished for years due to financial difficulties. Last week, the state struck a deal with developers to complete the massive project by 2013, rename it the American Dream Meadowlands, and give its much-maligned exterior a makeover. Until then, it remains a leading example of nearly universally denigrated "architecture." Here are several more examples:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week