oor New Jersey already struggles with a lousy reputation, and the gaudy, half-finished megamall Xanadu isn't helping things. Though slated to open in 2007, the $1.9 billion Bergen County entertainment and retail complex, which Gov. Chris Christie once called "by far the ugliest damn building in New Jersey, and maybe America," has sat unfinished for years due to financial difficulties. Last week, the state struck a deal with developers to complete the massive project by 2013, rename it the American Dream Meadowlands, and give its much-maligned exterior a makeover. Until then, it remains a leading example of nearly universally denigrated "architecture." Here are several more examples:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week