After 25 years of marriage and four children, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and TV journalist Maria Shriver announced their separation on Monday. They wed in 1986 after the bodybuilder-turned actor had scored breakthough roles in Conan the Barbarian and The Terminator. The unlikely pair — Schwarzenegger is a Republican, and Shriver is Democratic royalty as a member of the Kennedy clan — made a winning team when Schwarzenegger ran for office in 2003 and Shriver stumped for him on the way to the statehouse. Now they join a long list of political power couples to fall apart in the public eye. Here are seven more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week