fter 25 years of marriage and four children, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and TV journalist Maria Shriver announced their separation on Monday. They wed in 1986 after the bodybuilder-turned actor had scored breakthough roles in Conan the Barbarian and The Terminator. The unlikely pair — Schwarzenegger is a Republican, and Shriver is Democratic royalty as a member of the Kennedy clan — made a winning team when Schwarzenegger ran for office in 2003 and Shriver stumped for him on the way to the statehouse. Now they join a long list of political power couples to fall apart in the public eye. Here are seven more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week