OP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has been roundly criticized for claiming that he leads a "frugal" life after it was revealed that he'd once racked up a six-figure debt at New York's Tiffany & Co. jeweler. Of course, Gingrich is just the latest candidate whose fondness for the finer things in life led to a rocky patch on the campaign trail. Here, eight other beleagured big spenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week