GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has been roundly criticized for claiming that he leads a "frugal" life after it was revealed that he'd once racked up a six-figure debt at New York's Tiffany & Co. jeweler. Of course, Gingrich is just the latest candidate whose fondness for the finer things in life led to a rocky patch on the campaign trail. Here, eight other beleagured big spenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Don't hate the 'poor door'
- Are there too many good shows on television?
Subscribe to the Week