OP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has been roundly criticized for claiming that he leads a "frugal" life after it was revealed that he'd once racked up a six-figure debt at New York's Tiffany & Co. jeweler. Of course, Gingrich is just the latest candidate whose fondness for the finer things in life led to a rocky patch on the campaign trail. Here, eight other beleagured big spenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- That 'world's toughest job' ad is actually full of horrible lessons on motherhood
Subscribe to the Week