GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has been roundly criticized for claiming that he leads a "frugal" life after it was revealed that he'd once racked up a six-figure debt at New York's Tiffany & Co. jeweler. Of course, Gingrich is just the latest candidate whose fondness for the finer things in life led to a rocky patch on the campaign trail. Here, eight other beleagured big spenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week