OP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has been roundly criticized for claiming that he leads a "frugal" life after it was revealed that he'd once racked up a six-figure debt at New York's Tiffany & Co. jeweler. Of course, Gingrich is just the latest candidate whose fondness for the finer things in life led to a rocky patch on the campaign trail. Here, eight other beleagured big spenders:
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- How the Great Recession has changed the way we shop — even during the holidays
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
Subscribe to the Week