School is pretty much out for summer, and swarms of new college and high school graduates have been thrust into the "real world." But first, with graduation day came commencement speeches. While many long-winded orators might have put grandma to sleep and sent kid brothers reaching for iPhones, some keynote speakers delivered real stemwinders. Here, eight of this year's most noteworthy addresses to new graduates:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can business succeed where the embargo failed in Cuba?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week