School is pretty much out for summer, and swarms of new college and high school graduates have been thrust into the "real world." But first, with graduation day came commencement speeches. While many long-winded orators might have put grandma to sleep and sent kid brothers reaching for iPhones, some keynote speakers delivered real stemwinders. Here, eight of this year's most noteworthy addresses to new graduates:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week