School is pretty much out for summer, and swarms of new college and high school graduates have been thrust into the "real world." But first, with graduation day came commencement speeches. While many long-winded orators might have put grandma to sleep and sent kid brothers reaching for iPhones, some keynote speakers delivered real stemwinders. Here, eight of this year's most noteworthy addresses to new graduates:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
Subscribe to the Week