School is pretty much out for summer, and swarms of new college and high school graduates have been thrust into the "real world." But first, with graduation day came commencement speeches. While many long-winded orators might have put grandma to sleep and sent kid brothers reaching for iPhones, some keynote speakers delivered real stemwinders. Here, eight of this year's most noteworthy addresses to new graduates:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week