School is pretty much out for summer, and swarms of new college and high school graduates have been thrust into the "real world." But first, with graduation day came commencement speeches. While many long-winded orators might have put grandma to sleep and sent kid brothers reaching for iPhones, some keynote speakers delivered real stemwinders. Here, eight of this year's most noteworthy addresses to new graduates:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week