From the Beach Boys' "California Girls" in 1965 to Katy Perry's "California Gurls" last year, summers have always had that one ubiquitous earworm that ends up defining the sun-soaked season. What tune will be crowned 2011’s "Song of the Summer"? Here are some early contenders.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week