hree hundred. That's the startling number of new species that California Academy of Sciences researchers believe they identified during a recent survey of the Philippines. The new species include vibrant sea stars and urchins, otherworldly coral, dozens of different sea slugs, and a shark that inflates itself with water to scare off predators. "The Philippines is one of the hottest of the hotspots for diverse and threatened life on Earth," says Dr. Terrence Gosliner, who led the 2011 Philippine Biodiversity Expedition. Take a look at seven of the new discoveries:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week