hree hundred. That's the startling number of new species that California Academy of Sciences researchers believe they identified during a recent survey of the Philippines. The new species include vibrant sea stars and urchins, otherworldly coral, dozens of different sea slugs, and a shark that inflates itself with water to scare off predators. "The Philippines is one of the hottest of the hotspots for diverse and threatened life on Earth," says Dr. Terrence Gosliner, who led the 2011 Philippine Biodiversity Expedition. Take a look at seven of the new discoveries:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week