hree hundred. That's the startling number of new species that California Academy of Sciences researchers believe they identified during a recent survey of the Philippines. The new species include vibrant sea stars and urchins, otherworldly coral, dozens of different sea slugs, and a shark that inflates itself with water to scare off predators. "The Philippines is one of the hottest of the hotspots for diverse and threatened life on Earth," says Dr. Terrence Gosliner, who led the 2011 Philippine Biodiversity Expedition. Take a look at seven of the new discoveries:
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Did God have a wife?
- 5 theories to explain North Korea's big mysterious purge
- How the porn industry is putting its performers — and finances — at risk
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week