undreds of competitors descended on Derbyshire, England, this week, for the 35th annual World Toe Wrestling Championship. (Watch video here.) The sport was invented in 1976 at a Devonshire pub by regulars on a mission to find a game "that the British could win," says The Telegraph. The Toe Wrestling Championship has grown in popularity ever since. This year's event was highlighted by the semifinal match-up of "archrivals" Alan "Nasty Nash" Nash and Paul "Predatoe" Beech, who went on to win the men's crown. Does that make him champion of the world's strangest sport, or are there other contests out there that are even more odd? Here, a look at some other contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week