Hundreds of competitors descended on Derbyshire, England, this week, for the 35th annual World Toe Wrestling Championship. (Watch video here.) The sport was invented in 1976 at a Devonshire pub by regulars on a mission to find a game "that the British could win," says The Telegraph. The Toe Wrestling Championship has grown in popularity ever since. This year's event was highlighted by the semifinal match-up of "archrivals" Alan "Nasty Nash" Nash and Paul "Predatoe" Beech, who went on to win the men's crown. Does that make him champion of the world's strangest sport, or are there other contests out there that are even more odd? Here, a look at some other contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week