undreds of competitors descended on Derbyshire, England, this week, for the 35th annual World Toe Wrestling Championship. (Watch video here.) The sport was invented in 1976 at a Devonshire pub by regulars on a mission to find a game "that the British could win," says The Telegraph. The Toe Wrestling Championship has grown in popularity ever since. This year's event was highlighted by the semifinal match-up of "archrivals" Alan "Nasty Nash" Nash and Paul "Predatoe" Beech, who went on to win the men's crown. Does that make him champion of the world's strangest sport, or are there other contests out there that are even more odd? Here, a look at some other contenders:
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week