Weekend talking points: 7 top stories - July 15, 2011
What happened this week? Obama couldn't seal a debt deal. Rupert Murdoch drowned in bad ink. And America caught soccer fever
U.S. President Barack Obama speaks during a town hall meeting at the North Virginia Community College April 19, 2011 in Annandale, Virginia. Obama discussed his vision for bringing down the deficit at the town hall meeting. Alex Wong/CORBIS
Click inside for a rundown of the biggest news events — and reactions to them — that transpired over the last seven days.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week