Weekend talking points: 7 top stories - July 15, 2011
What happened this week? Obama couldn't seal a debt deal. Rupert Murdoch drowned in bad ink. And America caught soccer fever
U.S. President Barack Obama speaks during a town hall meeting at the North Virginia Community College April 19, 2011 in Annandale, Virginia. Obama discussed his vision for bringing down the deficit at the town hall meeting. Alex Wong/CORBIS
Click inside for a rundown of the biggest news events — and reactions to them — that transpired over the last seven days.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week