Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 opened Friday, ending an implausibly successful franchise that boasts a fervent fanbase millions deep and spans books, films, amusement parks, knick-knacks, and e-publishing. A record 6,000 midnight screenings of the film sold out Thursday night, grossing a staggering $43.5 million. As a generation of Potter fans bids adieu to a global phenomenon, here's a look back at some of the franchise's major milestones.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week