Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 opened Friday, ending an implausibly successful franchise that boasts a fervent fanbase millions deep and spans books, films, amusement parks, knick-knacks, and e-publishing. A record 6,000 midnight screenings of the film sold out Thursday night, grossing a staggering $43.5 million. As a generation of Potter fans bids adieu to a global phenomenon, here's a look back at some of the franchise's major milestones.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week