arry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 opened Friday, ending an implausibly successful franchise that boasts a fervent fanbase millions deep and spans books, films, amusement parks, knick-knacks, and e-publishing. A record 6,000 midnight screenings of the film sold out Thursday night, grossing a staggering $43.5 million. As a generation of Potter fans bids adieu to a global phenomenon, here's a look back at some of the franchise's major milestones.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week