Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 opened Friday, ending an implausibly successful franchise that boasts a fervent fanbase millions deep and spans books, films, amusement parks, knick-knacks, and e-publishing. A record 6,000 midnight screenings of the film sold out Thursday night, grossing a staggering $43.5 million. As a generation of Potter fans bids adieu to a global phenomenon, here's a look back at some of the franchise's major milestones.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week