Fans were devastated by this weekend's news that British soul diva Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London apartment at age 27. Winehouse's premature death perpetuates the myth of the "27 Curse," which has afflicted up to 34 or 46 other musicans who died at that age, depending on how far back into rock history you go. While experts say the "27 Curse" (also known as the "27 Club") is just a coincidence that helps people make sense of tragedy, the phenomenon continues to fascinate. Here's a look at some of the Club's most culturally influential members.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week