ans were devastated by this weekend's news that British soul diva Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London apartment at age 27. Winehouse's premature death perpetuates the myth of the "27 Curse," which has afflicted up to 34 or 46 other musicans who died at that age, depending on how far back into rock history you go. While experts say the "27 Curse" (also known as the "27 Club") is just a coincidence that helps people make sense of tragedy, the phenomenon continues to fascinate. Here's a look at some of the Club's most culturally influential members.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week