Fans were devastated by this weekend's news that British soul diva Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London apartment at age 27. Winehouse's premature death perpetuates the myth of the "27 Curse," which has afflicted up to 34 or 46 other musicans who died at that age, depending on how far back into rock history you go. While experts say the "27 Curse" (also known as the "27 Club") is just a coincidence that helps people make sense of tragedy, the phenomenon continues to fascinate. Here's a look at some of the Club's most culturally influential members.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week