Just Kids, Patti Smith's best-selling memoir about her days in the '60s and '70s living as a young artist in New York City alongside photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, is heading to the big screen. The book, which won the National Book Award for nonfiction in 2010, will be adapted by Smith and screenwriter John Logan — who wrote Hollywood hits like Gladiator and The Aviator, as well as the Tony Award-winning play Red about artist Mark Rothko. Which actress has what it takes to portray the punk rock poet, best known for her 1975 debut album Horses? Here are some buzzed-about contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week