Just Kids, Patti Smith's best-selling memoir about her days in the '60s and '70s living as a young artist in New York City alongside photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, is heading to the big screen. The book, which won the National Book Award for nonfiction in 2010, will be adapted by Smith and screenwriter John Logan — who wrote Hollywood hits like Gladiator and The Aviator, as well as the Tony Award-winning play Red about artist Mark Rothko. Which actress has what it takes to portray the punk rock poet, best known for her 1975 debut album Horses? Here are some buzzed-about contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week