ust Kids, Patti Smith's best-selling memoir about her days in the '60s and '70s living as a young artist in New York City alongside photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, is heading to the big screen. The book, which won the National Book Award for nonfiction in 2010, will be adapted by Smith and screenwriter John Logan — who wrote Hollywood hits like Gladiator and The Aviator, as well as the Tony Award-winning play Red about artist Mark Rothko. Which actress has what it takes to portray the punk rock poet, best known for her 1975 debut album Horses? Here are some buzzed-about contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week