Just Kids, Patti Smith's best-selling memoir about her days in the '60s and '70s living as a young artist in New York City alongside photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, is heading to the big screen. The book, which won the National Book Award for nonfiction in 2010, will be adapted by Smith and screenwriter John Logan — who wrote Hollywood hits like Gladiator and The Aviator, as well as the Tony Award-winning play Red about artist Mark Rothko. Which actress has what it takes to portray the punk rock poet, best known for her 1975 debut album Horses? Here are some buzzed-about contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week