With President Obama's annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard comes the predictable greeting of fans at a local eatery, the still-on-the-job speech, and, of course, the much-parsed summer reading list announcement. This year's POTUS holiday library — a selection of six books, some purchased at the local book store Bunch of Grapes — favors fiction, and eschews the great American biographies that presidents often conspicuously fancy. And while some on the Right contend that these novels reflect badly on the beleaguered Obama, others wonder if taking a break from reality isn't exactly what vacations should be about. Here's a closer look at what these books may say about our chief executive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
- Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates
Subscribe to the Week