With President Obama's annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard comes the predictable greeting of fans at a local eatery, the still-on-the-job speech, and, of course, the much-parsed summer reading list announcement. This year's POTUS holiday library — a selection of six books, some purchased at the local book store Bunch of Grapes — favors fiction, and eschews the great American biographies that presidents often conspicuously fancy. And while some on the Right contend that these novels reflect badly on the beleaguered Obama, others wonder if taking a break from reality isn't exactly what vacations should be about. Here's a closer look at what these books may say about our chief executive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week