ith President Obama's annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard comes the predictable greeting of fans at a local eatery, the still-on-the-job speech, and, of course, the much-parsed summer reading list announcement. This year's POTUS holiday library — a selection of six books, some purchased at the local book store Bunch of Grapes — favors fiction, and eschews the great American biographies that presidents often conspicuously fancy. And while some on the Right contend that these novels reflect badly on the beleaguered Obama, others wonder if taking a break from reality isn't exactly what vacations should be about. Here's a closer look at what these books may say about our chief executive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
Subscribe to the Week