With President Obama's annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard comes the predictable greeting of fans at a local eatery, the still-on-the-job speech, and, of course, the much-parsed summer reading list announcement. This year's POTUS holiday library — a selection of six books, some purchased at the local book store Bunch of Grapes — favors fiction, and eschews the great American biographies that presidents often conspicuously fancy. And while some on the Right contend that these novels reflect badly on the beleaguered Obama, others wonder if taking a break from reality isn't exactly what vacations should be about. Here's a closer look at what these books may say about our chief executive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week