After his Tony Award-winning success on Broadway and his song-and-dance take on hosting the Oscars, the news that Hugh Jackman would lead a film adaptation of the beloved musical Les Miserables was warmly received earlier this summer. The Wolverine actor will play Jean Valjean, a French prisoner released after 19 years and determined to prove that the once-corrupt can become virtuous. Tom Hooper, the Oscar-winning director of The King's Speech is on board to direct. With shooting set to begin in February, the rest of the sure-to-be-starry cast is being filled out. Here's what the press is saying about the actors being considered for major roles:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week