After his Tony Award-winning success on Broadway and his song-and-dance take on hosting the Oscars, the news that Hugh Jackman would lead a film adaptation of the beloved musical Les Miserables was warmly received earlier this summer. The Wolverine actor will play Jean Valjean, a French prisoner released after 19 years and determined to prove that the once-corrupt can become virtuous. Tom Hooper, the Oscar-winning director of The King's Speech is on board to direct. With shooting set to begin in February, the rest of the sure-to-be-starry cast is being filled out. Here's what the press is saying about the actors being considered for major roles:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
Subscribe to the Week