mong the approximately 11,000 responders to the 9/11 attacks, some 300 were dogs. As America commemorates the tragedy on Sunday, one ceremony will honor these unsung rescue workers. The Tails of Hope Foundation has organized a Recognition Ceremony to honor the search-and-rescue, therapy, and security dog teams that worked in the rubble of the 9/11 attack, offering support and searching for survivors and bodies. Here, a look at some of these canine heroes.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 11, 2013
- The last racial taboo
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show roll its eyes at outrage over Obama's handshake with Raul Castro
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
Subscribe to the Week