Among the approximately 11,000 responders to the 9/11 attacks, some 300 were dogs. As America commemorates the tragedy on Sunday, one ceremony will honor these unsung rescue workers. The Tails of Hope Foundation has organized a Recognition Ceremony to honor the search-and-rescue, therapy, and security dog teams that worked in the rubble of the 9/11 attack, offering support and searching for survivors and bodies. Here, a look at some of these canine heroes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week