Among the approximately 11,000 responders to the 9/11 attacks, some 300 were dogs. As America commemorates the tragedy on Sunday, one ceremony will honor these unsung rescue workers. The Tails of Hope Foundation has organized a Recognition Ceremony to honor the search-and-rescue, therapy, and security dog teams that worked in the rubble of the 9/11 attack, offering support and searching for survivors and bodies. Here, a look at some of these canine heroes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week