mong the approximately 11,000 responders to the 9/11 attacks, some 300 were dogs. As America commemorates the tragedy on Sunday, one ceremony will honor these unsung rescue workers. The Tails of Hope Foundation has organized a Recognition Ceremony to honor the search-and-rescue, therapy, and security dog teams that worked in the rubble of the 9/11 attack, offering support and searching for survivors and bodies. Here, a look at some of these canine heroes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week