The painful months of bad summer TV are mercifully coming to an end. More than 30 new shows are premiering in the coming weeks. Some are getting splashy, highly-touted launches — like Simon Cowell's new reality singing competition, The X Factor (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m. on Fox). Annie Barrett at Entertainment Weekly says she "got goosebumps from Sunday's extended preview of the new series — which will feature Cowell, fellow American Idol veteran Paula Abdul, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and record executive L.A. Reid as judges. A $5 million record contract awaits the winner, and Fox clearly believes that America wants yet another Idol-like reality series. What other new shows are worth viewing? Here, a look at seven of the most anticipated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week