The painful months of bad summer TV are mercifully coming to an end. More than 30 new shows are premiering in the coming weeks. Some are getting splashy, highly-touted launches — like Simon Cowell's new reality singing competition, The X Factor (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m. on Fox). Annie Barrett at Entertainment Weekly says she "got goosebumps from Sunday's extended preview of the new series — which will feature Cowell, fellow American Idol veteran Paula Abdul, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and record executive L.A. Reid as judges. A $5 million record contract awaits the winner, and Fox clearly believes that America wants yet another Idol-like reality series. What other new shows are worth viewing? Here, a look at seven of the most anticipated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week