The painful months of bad summer TV are mercifully coming to an end. More than 30 new shows are premiering in the coming weeks. Some are getting splashy, highly-touted launches — like Simon Cowell's new reality singing competition, The X Factor (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m. on Fox). Annie Barrett at Entertainment Weekly says she "got goosebumps from Sunday's extended preview of the new series — which will feature Cowell, fellow American Idol veteran Paula Abdul, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and record executive L.A. Reid as judges. A $5 million record contract awaits the winner, and Fox clearly believes that America wants yet another Idol-like reality series. What other new shows are worth viewing? Here, a look at seven of the most anticipated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week