he painful months of bad summer TV are mercifully coming to an end. More than 30 new shows are premiering in the coming weeks. Some are getting splashy, highly-touted launches — like Simon Cowell's new reality singing competition, The X Factor (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m. on Fox). Annie Barrett at Entertainment Weekly says she "got goosebumps from Sunday's extended preview of the new series — which will feature Cowell, fellow American Idol veteran Paula Abdul, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and record executive L.A. Reid as judges. A $5 million record contract awaits the winner, and Fox clearly believes that America wants yet another Idol-like reality series. What other new shows are worth viewing? Here, a look at seven of the most anticipated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week