The painful months of bad summer TV are mercifully coming to an end. More than 30 new shows are premiering in the coming weeks. Some are getting splashy, highly-touted launches — like Simon Cowell's new reality singing competition, The X Factor (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m. on Fox). Annie Barrett at Entertainment Weekly says she "got goosebumps from Sunday's extended preview of the new series — which will feature Cowell, fellow American Idol veteran Paula Abdul, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and record executive L.A. Reid as judges. A $5 million record contract awaits the winner, and Fox clearly believes that America wants yet another Idol-like reality series. What other new shows are worth viewing? Here, a look at seven of the most anticipated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week