After a summer of hype, The Playboy Club finally premiered Monday night on NBC. Judging by reaction to the pilot (one critic called it "dismal"), the drama about the birth of the famous gentleman's club is an early frontrunner for fall's worst new show. From lame men-are-from-Mars sitcoms (welcome back to TV, Tim Allen?) to an offensively unfunny new "comedy" from Whitney Cummings, here are a few of the other contenders:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week