very year parents, school administrators, and librarians protest against hundreds of books, rejecting them for a whole slew of reasons. The American Library Association recorded 348 challenges to books in 2010 and says more than 11,000 books have been contested since 1982. Not every contested book gets banned, and not all banned books remain on the list for long. Still, the complaints keep coming. Here a look at nine of the more "surprising" banned or challenged reads.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
Subscribe to the Week