fter 33 years, America's favorite curmudgeon, Andy Rooney, is stepping down as a regular commentator on 60 Minutes. In his first segment, airing on July 2, 1978, he bemoaned news reports about automobile deaths on holiday weekends and has since contributed 1,096 such essays (known as "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney"), kvetching about everything from coffee cans to Lady Gaga. Here's a look at some of the 92-year-old's most memorable gripes:
- Did God have a wife?
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week