fter 33 years, America's favorite curmudgeon, Andy Rooney, is stepping down as a regular commentator on 60 Minutes. In his first segment, airing on July 2, 1978, he bemoaned news reports about automobile deaths on holiday weekends and has since contributed 1,096 such essays (known as "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney"), kvetching about everything from coffee cans to Lady Gaga. Here's a look at some of the 92-year-old's most memorable gripes:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week