Though educators insist that school bans are enforced with students' well-being in mind, that's sometimes hard to believe. Some bans have obvious benefits: Prohibitions on soda and flavored milk, for instance, arguably help curb childhood obesity. But critics find other bans — from restrictions on bathroom breaks to a moratorium on hugging — merely "silly." Here, a look at 9 questionable school taboos.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week