Though educators insist that school bans are enforced with students' well-being in mind, that's sometimes hard to believe. Some bans have obvious benefits: Prohibitions on soda and flavored milk, for instance, arguably help curb childhood obesity. But critics find other bans — from restrictions on bathroom breaks to a moratorium on hugging — merely "silly." Here, a look at 9 questionable school taboos.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week