Though educators insist that school bans are enforced with students' well-being in mind, that's sometimes hard to believe. Some bans have obvious benefits: Prohibitions on soda and flavored milk, for instance, arguably help curb childhood obesity. But critics find other bans — from restrictions on bathroom breaks to a moratorium on hugging — merely "silly." Here, a look at 9 questionable school taboos.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week