Though educators insist that school bans are enforced with students' well-being in mind, that's sometimes hard to believe. Some bans have obvious benefits: Prohibitions on soda and flavored milk, for instance, arguably help curb childhood obesity. But critics find other bans — from restrictions on bathroom breaks to a moratorium on hugging — merely "silly." Here, a look at 9 questionable school taboos.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week