Though educators insist that school bans are enforced with students' well-being in mind, that's sometimes hard to believe. Some bans have obvious benefits: Prohibitions on soda and flavored milk, for instance, arguably help curb childhood obesity. But critics find other bans — from restrictions on bathroom breaks to a moratorium on hugging — merely "silly." Here, a look at 9 questionable school taboos.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week