For most Libyans, the despot's gritty demise this week puts an end to a long and bloody nightmare. The country Gadhafi left is war-torn, devoid of civic institutions, and facing a whole new series of questions. Here, a look back at the 'eccentric' life and the 'brutal' 42-year-rule of Gadhafi that rendered the oil-rich country poor and in tatters.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week