For most Libyans, the despot's gritty demise this week puts an end to a long and bloody nightmare. The country Gadhafi left is war-torn, devoid of civic institutions, and facing a whole new series of questions. Here, a look back at the 'eccentric' life and the 'brutal' 42-year-rule of Gadhafi that rendered the oil-rich country poor and in tatters.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
Subscribe to the Week