or most Libyans, the despot's gritty demise this week puts an end to a long and bloody nightmare. The country Gadhafi left is war-torn, devoid of civic institutions, and facing a whole new series of questions. Here, a look back at the 'eccentric' life and the 'brutal' 42-year-rule of Gadhafi that rendered the oil-rich country poor and in tatters.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week