he first iPod, released on Oct. 23, 2001, had an intuitive scroll wheel that physically moved. "I held it, and 45 seconds later, I knew how to use it," the musician Moby said. And yet, this device that revolutionized the music industry seems rather bulky and quaint 10 years on. A 2002 update (pictured) boosted the hard drive and added new software — the first of countless redesigns and revisions to the iconic MP3 player. Here, a visual history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- The wrongheaded law that's making your food less safe
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week