The first iPod, released on Oct. 23, 2001, had an intuitive scroll wheel that physically moved. "I held it, and 45 seconds later, I knew how to use it," the musician Moby said. And yet, this device that revolutionized the music industry seems rather bulky and quaint 10 years on. A 2002 update (pictured) boosted the hard drive and added new software — the first of countless redesigns and revisions to the iconic MP3 player. Here, a visual history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week