The first iPod, released on Oct. 23, 2001, had an intuitive scroll wheel that physically moved. "I held it, and 45 seconds later, I knew how to use it," the musician Moby said. And yet, this device that revolutionized the music industry seems rather bulky and quaint 10 years on. A 2002 update (pictured) boosted the hard drive and added new software — the first of countless redesigns and revisions to the iconic MP3 player. Here, a visual history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week