he first iPod, released on Oct. 23, 2001, had an intuitive scroll wheel that physically moved. "I held it, and 45 seconds later, I knew how to use it," the musician Moby said. And yet, this device that revolutionized the music industry seems rather bulky and quaint 10 years on. A 2002 update (pictured) boosted the hard drive and added new software — the first of countless redesigns and revisions to the iconic MP3 player. Here, a visual history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week