he first iPod, released on Oct. 23, 2001, had an intuitive scroll wheel that physically moved. "I held it, and 45 seconds later, I knew how to use it," the musician Moby said. And yet, this device that revolutionized the music industry seems rather bulky and quaint 10 years on. A 2002 update (pictured) boosted the hard drive and added new software — the first of countless redesigns and revisions to the iconic MP3 player. Here, a visual history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week