ooks like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn have long been banned in many schools and libraries over alleged racism. Could Pippi Longstocking be next? According to one theologian, Astrid Lindgren's classic children's novels about the pig-tailed adventurer feature unsavory "colonial racist stereotypes." Pippi joins a long list of surprising children's characters who have been accused of racism. From Babar to the Smurfs, here's a look:
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The last racial taboo
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Step away from the ruler: Penis size studies are pretty worthless
Subscribe to the Week