n 1981, Ronald Reagan decided ketchup should be considered a vegetable to save money on school lunch programs. Decades later, it seems, little has changed. These days, Republicans and Democrats are clashing over whether the tomato paste on cafeteria pizza should count as a veggie. And that's not the only food fight our nation's schools have seen. Click through for nine more cafeteria controversies.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week