n endangered gorilla was born at Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo on Nov. 16 — the first time in six years that a Western lowland gorilla was born in America's Second City. After a week of rest and attention from staff, the newborn and her 16-year-old mother, Bana, had their public debut Tuesday. Here, a look back at other members of endangered species recently born in zoos around the world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week