Before they start gobbling turkey, more than 50 million Americans are expected to tune into the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday morning on NBC. Of course, that's in addition to the 3.5 million spectators expected to line Manhattan's 2.5-mile parade route from 77th Street to Macy's in Herald Square. Here, a look back at the venerable event's history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
Subscribe to the Week