Before they start gobbling turkey, more than 50 million Americans are expected to tune into the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday morning on NBC. Of course, that's in addition to the 3.5 million spectators expected to line Manhattan's 2.5-mile parade route from 77th Street to Macy's in Herald Square. Here, a look back at the venerable event's history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How languages are like food
Subscribe to the Week