efore they start gobbling turkey, more than 50 million Americans are expected to tune into the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday morning on NBC. Of course, that's in addition to the 3.5 million spectators expected to line Manhattan's 2.5-mile parade route from 77th Street to Macy's in Herald Square. Here, a look back at the venerable event's history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Art is not a justification for discrimination
Subscribe to the Week