Before they start gobbling turkey, more than 50 million Americans are expected to tune into the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday morning on NBC. Of course, that's in addition to the 3.5 million spectators expected to line Manhattan's 2.5-mile parade route from 77th Street to Macy's in Herald Square. Here, a look back at the venerable event's history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How to be optimistic, according to science
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- How to be funny: the 6 essential ingredients to humor
Subscribe to the Week