Before they start gobbling turkey, more than 50 million Americans are expected to tune into the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Thursday morning on NBC. Of course, that's in addition to the 3.5 million spectators expected to line Manhattan's 2.5-mile parade route from 77th Street to Macy's in Herald Square. Here, a look back at the venerable event's history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
Subscribe to the Week