Jennifer Aniston left her good girl image behind, Ryan Gosling portrayed one of cinema's most charming Lotharios, and a 9-year-old Jack Russell terrier ran away with moviegoers' hearts. In a year brimming with memorable performances, here's a look at the ones that were the funniest, most touching, and hardest to shake:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- In defense of family dinner
Subscribe to the Week