Sure, celebrities complete record-breaking feats all the time thanks to impressive salaries (Johnny Depp) or ever-expanding lists of Twitter followers (Lady Gaga), but only a few can inspire thousands to join in and smash the Guinness book's most unique records. In October, First Lady Michelle Obama and 300,265 others shattered the previous record (20,000) for most people doing jumping jacks in a 24-hour period. Here are eight other stars and their surprising achievements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week