Sure, celebrities complete record-breaking feats all the time thanks to impressive salaries (Johnny Depp) or ever-expanding lists of Twitter followers (Lady Gaga), but only a few can inspire thousands to join in and smash the Guinness book's most unique records. In October, First Lady Michelle Obama and 300,265 others shattered the previous record (20,000) for most people doing jumping jacks in a 24-hour period. Here are eight other stars and their surprising achievements.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week