Roboticists at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology have developed a mechanized sea turtle, dubbed "Naro-Tartaruga." The aluminum explorer bot, unlike its slow-poke real-life cousins, is actually quite speedy, swimming elegantly through the water at 6.6 feet per second. "This thing could kick some butt," says Alyssa Danigelis at Discovery News. "All that's missing is a ninja eye mask." Here, nine other robots inspired by animals:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- 10 soldiers welcomed home by very happy dogs
Subscribe to the Week