Though global protests, gala weddings, and various human shenanigans generated the bulk of 2011's headlines, plenty of animals captured our attention this year as well, thanks to their displays of bravery, adorableness, and — in at least one case — the love that dare not speak its name. From Toronto's "gay" penguins to the short and troubled life of Knut the polar bear, here are eight of the year's most intriguing animals.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week