Though global protests, gala weddings, and various human shenanigans generated the bulk of 2011's headlines, plenty of animals captured our attention this year as well, thanks to their displays of bravery, adorableness, and — in at least one case — the love that dare not speak its name. From Toronto's "gay" penguins to the short and troubled life of Knut the polar bear, here are eight of the year's most intriguing animals.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week