Though global protests, gala weddings, and various human shenanigans generated the bulk of 2011's headlines, plenty of animals captured our attention this year as well, thanks to their displays of bravery, adorableness, and — in at least one case — the love that dare not speak its name. From Toronto's "gay" penguins to the short and troubled life of Knut the polar bear, here are eight of the year's most intriguing animals.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How to flirt, according to science
- The militarization of America’s police
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
Subscribe to the Week