hough global protests, gala weddings, and various human shenanigans generated the bulk of 2011's headlines, plenty of animals captured our attention this year as well, thanks to their displays of bravery, adorableness, and — in at least one case — the love that dare not speak its name. From Toronto's "gay" penguins to the short and troubled life of Knut the polar bear, here are eight of the year's most intriguing animals.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week