On Saturday, North Korea's "utterly ruthless" and infinitely intriguing ruler, Kim Jong Il, died at the age of 69. The man who led the secretive, poverty-stricken communist state for 17 years is as much a mystery in death as he was in life. But some things are known. From his brutal childhood to his rise to power to his diplomatic trials, here, a look back at Kim Jong Il's life in pictures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week