n Saturday, North Korea's "utterly ruthless" and infinitely intriguing ruler, Kim Jong Il, died at the age of 69. The man who led the secretive, poverty-stricken communist state for 17 years is as much a mystery in death as he was in life. But some things are known. From his brutal childhood to his rise to power to his diplomatic trials, here, a look back at Kim Jong Il's life in pictures.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- The hotel of enlightenment
- Science: Cuddling is key to a committed and loving relationship
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Girls on Film: How Lovelace fails to tell the real story
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
Subscribe to the Week