arty! An estimated two million revelers gathered in New York City's Times Square on an unseasonably warm New Year's Eve to ring in 2012. Pop superstars including Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber distracted the crowd as they waited for the iconic New Year's ball — decorated with 3,000 Waterford crystal triangles — to drop and signal the arrival of 2012. Here's a look at other celebrations around the globe:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week