Party! An estimated two million revelers gathered in New York City's Times Square on an unseasonably warm New Year's Eve to ring in 2012. Pop superstars including Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber distracted the crowd as they waited for the iconic New Year's ball — decorated with 3,000 Waterford crystal triangles — to drop and signal the arrival of 2012. Here's a look at other celebrations around the globe:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
Subscribe to the Week