Party! An estimated two million revelers gathered in New York City's Times Square on an unseasonably warm New Year's Eve to ring in 2012. Pop superstars including Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber distracted the crowd as they waited for the iconic New Year's ball — decorated with 3,000 Waterford crystal triangles — to drop and signal the arrival of 2012. Here's a look at other celebrations around the globe:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week