Party! An estimated two million revelers gathered in New York City's Times Square on an unseasonably warm New Year's Eve to ring in 2012. Pop superstars including Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber distracted the crowd as they waited for the iconic New Year's ball — decorated with 3,000 Waterford crystal triangles — to drop and signal the arrival of 2012. Here's a look at other celebrations around the globe:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week