An instructor smashes a bottle over a female recruit's head during a training session for China's first female bodyguards in Beijing. The 20 female recruits will undergo 8-10 months of training and the top trainee will go on to attend the International Security Academy in Israel. Click through for a look at more of the week's most startling images from around the world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week