Forget prom nights and driver's licenses, these teens yearn for something more adventurous — to sail around the world unassisted. Laura Dekker (pictured), a Dutch 16-year-old, is the latest, and youngest, sailor to successfully earn this controversial distinction. Here a look at seven teens, from four different continents, who have tested laws, patience, strength, and character to do the same.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week