Forget prom nights and driver's licenses, these teens yearn for something more adventurous — to sail around the world unassisted. Laura Dekker (pictured), a Dutch 16-year-old, is the latest, and youngest, sailor to successfully earn this controversial distinction. Here a look at seven teens, from four different continents, who have tested laws, patience, strength, and character to do the same.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Obama's politically lethal credibility problem
Subscribe to the Week