Forget prom nights and driver's licenses, these teens yearn for something more adventurous — to sail around the world unassisted. Laura Dekker (pictured), a Dutch 16-year-old, is the latest, and youngest, sailor to successfully earn this controversial distinction. Here a look at seven teens, from four different continents, who have tested laws, patience, strength, and character to do the same.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week