Forget prom nights and driver's licenses, these teens yearn for something more adventurous — to sail around the world unassisted. Laura Dekker (pictured), a Dutch 16-year-old, is the latest, and youngest, sailor to successfully earn this controversial distinction. Here a look at seven teens, from four different continents, who have tested laws, patience, strength, and character to do the same.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week