Forget prom nights and driver's licenses, these teens yearn for something more adventurous — to sail around the world unassisted. Laura Dekker (pictured), a Dutch 16-year-old, is the latest, and youngest, sailor to successfully earn this controversial distinction. Here a look at seven teens, from four different continents, who have tested laws, patience, strength, and character to do the same.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I lost all my money
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week