The Super Bowl of Hollywood is upon us. The 2012 Academy Award nominations were announced Tuesday morning, and Martin Scorsese's nostalgic 3D romp Hugo and the charming silent film The Artist scored the most nods, with 11 and 10, respectively. The full slate of nominations boasts plenty of oversights and surprises — of both the delightful and dismaying nature. Here, a look at those garnering the most buzz:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week