Tuesday marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of one of the world's biggest literary stars, Charles Dickens. The beloved British storyteller was the original literary celebrity and creator of more than two dozen works of fiction that have never gone out of print. His influence lives on in musicals, film, television, art, and literature. Here, a visual history of his life and enduring legacy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week