The art market is a playground for the 1 percent, with millions of dollars traded for ownership of the world's most renowned art. The most recent landmark score goes to the royal family of Qatar, with the purchase of Paul Cezanne's "Card Players" for $250 million, making the Cezanne the most expensive painting of all time. Here, a look at works that previously held that title.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week