The art market is a playground for the 1 percent, with millions of dollars traded for ownership of the world's most renowned art. The most recent landmark score goes to the royal family of Qatar, with the purchase of Paul Cezanne's "Card Players" for $250 million, making the Cezanne the most expensive painting of all time. Here, a look at works that previously held that title.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week