The art market is a playground for the 1 percent, with millions of dollars traded for ownership of the world's most renowned art. The most recent landmark score goes to the royal family of Qatar, with the purchase of Paul Cezanne's "Card Players" for $250 million, making the Cezanne the most expensive painting of all time. Here, a look at works that previously held that title.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week