The art market is a playground for the 1 percent, with millions of dollars traded for ownership of the world's most renowned art. The most recent landmark score goes to the royal family of Qatar, with the purchase of Paul Cezanne's "Card Players" for $250 million, making the Cezanne the most expensive painting of all time. Here, a look at works that previously held that title.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week