The art market is a playground for the 1 percent, with millions of dollars traded for ownership of the world's most renowned art. The most recent landmark score goes to the royal family of Qatar, with the purchase of Paul Cezanne's "Card Players" for $250 million, making the Cezanne the most expensive painting of all time. Here, a look at works that previously held that title.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week