If you haven't been swept up in the bad-pun-inspiring, surprise success of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, here are the basics: The 6'3" Harvard grad entered the NBA undrafted, was cut from two teams, and was sleeping on the couch of teammate Landry Fields until his record-smashing breakout run saw him leading his team to 7 straight wins. Here, 6 other athletes who came out of nowhere to thrill the sports world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- In defense of family dinner
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week