If you haven't been swept up in the bad-pun-inspiring, surprise success of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, here are the basics: The 6'3" Harvard grad entered the NBA undrafted, was cut from two teams, and was sleeping on the couch of teammate Landry Fields until his record-smashing breakout run saw him leading his team to 7 straight wins. Here, 6 other athletes who came out of nowhere to thrill the sports world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week