If you haven't been swept up in the bad-pun-inspiring, surprise success of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, here are the basics: The 6'3" Harvard grad entered the NBA undrafted, was cut from two teams, and was sleeping on the couch of teammate Landry Fields until his record-smashing breakout run saw him leading his team to 7 straight wins. Here, 6 other athletes who came out of nowhere to thrill the sports world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week