If you haven't been swept up in the bad-pun-inspiring, surprise success of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, here are the basics: The 6'3" Harvard grad entered the NBA undrafted, was cut from two teams, and was sleeping on the couch of teammate Landry Fields until his record-smashing breakout run saw him leading his team to 7 straight wins. Here, 6 other athletes who came out of nowhere to thrill the sports world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 outrageously pricey tax breaks that Congress just gave away
Subscribe to the Week