If you haven't been swept up in the bad-pun-inspiring, surprise success of Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, here are the basics: The 6'3" Harvard grad entered the NBA undrafted, was cut from two teams, and was sleeping on the couch of teammate Landry Fields until his record-smashing breakout run saw him leading his team to 7 straight wins. Here, 6 other athletes who came out of nowhere to thrill the sports world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week