A week after Whitney Houston's sudden death, shocked fans are still grappling with the loss of a great American talent. Video of her "haunting" final performance circulated, the Grammys aired a (brief) tribute, and Houston's music leapt to the top of the charts. As officials continue to investigate how Houston died, she'll be laid to rest this weekend.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week