Traditionally a celebration reserved for Catholic societies ahead of Lent's period of repentance, Carnival now spans the globe and encompasses days of rowdy festivities, elaborate parades (including this one in Rio de Janiero), and street parties crammed with costumed partygoers. Click through for a look at the goings-on.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
Subscribe to the Week