Traditionally a celebration reserved for Catholic societies ahead of Lent's period of repentance, Carnival now spans the globe and encompasses days of rowdy festivities, elaborate parades (including this one in Rio de Janiero), and street parties crammed with costumed partygoers. Click through for a look at the goings-on.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week