Traditionally a celebration reserved for Catholic societies ahead of Lent's period of repentance, Carnival now spans the globe and encompasses days of rowdy festivities, elaborate parades (including this one in Rio de Janiero), and street parties crammed with costumed partygoers. Click through for a look at the goings-on.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
Subscribe to the Week