Traditionally a celebration reserved for Catholic societies ahead of Lent's period of repentance, Carnival now spans the globe and encompasses days of rowdy festivities, elaborate parades (including this one in Rio de Janiero), and street parties crammed with costumed partygoers. Click through for a look at the goings-on.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week